Home > Daily Progress Report > Regarding The Daily Updates

Regarding The Daily Updates

Hey guys,

I’ve been thinking about this for some time….lately the daily updates have gotten pretty mundane/monotonous and I’ve been questioning whether or not this is really something I should continue doing.  Especially since the daily updates have served their purpose, I intended to update daily until I was able to reach a full time income, which I did some time ago.

Granted I had a dip in the income, but I question whether I should be updating you on a daily basis about adding 10-15 pages to a site each and every day…I also don’t want the blog to be just about checking how much money I made for the day.

I’ve done the daily updates continuously now for 427 days, and sure, I could keep going , but I just feel that the original intention has long been served.

One other thing about giving daily updates is it doesn’t give me much time to rethink and figure out additional approaches to my business as I feel a responsibility to deliver some tangible work rather than just log that I’ve been brainstorming various tactics for 1 week straight.

I’m thinking I should switch to just updating just whenever I feel there is something worth mentioning.   I’ll try not updating for a week and see how that goes…

Thoughts?

-Mike

Mail this post

StumbleUpon It!
Author: Categories: Daily Progress Report Tags:
  1. July 8th, 2010 at 13:21 | #1

You can do weekly updates. That will be good idea. I also got increased adsense income. Once i will reach at some decent level i will update. Expecting $50 per day by next month end.

2. July 8th, 2010 at 13:34 | #2

Good for You !

Check in with us every week or so if you can or if you come up some great new ideas.
    We still need your inspiration.

Regards

Bill

3. Ross
    July 8th, 2010 at 14:24 | #3

To anyone who cares to comment:

New to the game with only a few niche sites up. All are on page 1 of google within position 2-6. 36K Searches global, CPC at about $5-6 but I’m getting no freaking clicks. I’m likely focusing on the wrong product. Any guidance? Is there a “rule” for what products I should focus on or stay away from?

4. leon
    July 8th, 2010 at 14:45 | #4

Mike, is such a difficult task to keep posting for 427 days long consistently. You deserve the all kind words and respect. Your will for sharing information without selfishness has really motivates a lot of people, which includes me. I always visit your blog daily for checking how are you doing today, it gives me a benchmark to refer and stay tuned with the latest updates. You deserves to take a break on cutting the loads of posting your daily updates. However, it will be a loss for the readers as checking your updates daily has seems to developed into habits. Anyway, good luck to you and support whatever decision you made. Cheers!

5. Joe
    July 8th, 2010 at 14:53 | #5

I don’t blame you one bit. You must be tired of dealing with people constantly posting the same bloody questions over and over again. Also with your drop in income, must be annoying fending off questions that keep on arising. Posting a bi-weekly/monthly update regarding your progress with insight would serve the same purpose. It would also give you time to focus on your own strategy.

Good luck on your future endeavors

6. Ben
    July 8th, 2010 at 15:11 | #6

I would still love to see your daily earnings, even if it is only posted weekly. It helps me figure out if its just my sites or another google update.

7. ThomasT
    July 8th, 2010 at 15:54 | #7

Mike,

PLEASE DON’T STOP! … BUT, do it in a different way. Let me explain:

You see, it’s VERY motivating to come and see how much you made each day, AND it also provides a “second opinion” kind of, for us to gauge our earnings against yours. For instance, it’s good to see that what happened to my earnings over the 4th of July holiday weekend correlated to yours, AND it was also somewhat calming to see the dips in my income from G’s mayday correlated to what was happening with your income dips.

Your earning updates provide a kind of barometer as to what is happening, because you have many many more sites than I do.

Now, I completely understand what you wrote about needing time off and wanting to do some brainstorming vs. providing tangible results, etc. It’s YOUR blog. Change things up – turn OFF comments, and in the place of the comment section, or at the bottom of every post cut and paste the same thing thing that explains why comments are off: “I’m only doing daily updates to continue to post my daily earnings for those that want to see them to stay motivated, I’m still doing daily work, please see THIS POST (link) to explain what I’m now generally doing every day” or something along those lines. Link to a post that talks about what you will do on a average day to continue to work on/grow/link your sites. (put your affiliate links in there too for the chance to make some cash off of that!)

THEN, only if you feel like writing more for a particular day you could do so, otherwise, it’s just an update of your earnings for the day. (stop posting the videos/pics also, that takes up your time finding them) Doing that would cut your time spent on this down to almost nothing per day, you can still post some extra stuff if you want, otherwise no.

I’d still check your blog every day if you did that, and be happy. :)

8. Alex
    July 8th, 2010 at 16:08 | #8

I think you should go for weekly updates, your definately right that the updates have been a bit mundane for the past month or so besides the few days about the mayday update and how it impacted you & your plans going forward. So ya, I think weekly updates on your income and what you did (websites created, BL strategy/services used)

9. greentea
    July 8th, 2010 at 16:40 | #9

cant blame ya man. even tho i check in often, i can totally understand. gl

10. July 8th, 2010 at 16:51 | #10

@Ross
    Are you doing exact searches? You can never really say for sure how things are gonna pan out. I actually have 1 site that gets 1,300 exact searches a month. The CPC is $25 and I am in the #1 position, which I have been for weeks. I get maybe 5 clicks per week to my site, but no one clicks on the advertisers.

It is annoying and I cannot figure it out!

@Mike
    I can rarely ever make it to post once a week. I think you should post just once every 7-10 days, and then just recap for the week. The site ranking might go down some because people are not visiting everyday anymore, but they could be visiting to read the comments from others. Honestly this blog is not your main source of income so it should take a backseat. Concentrate on what you need to do right now to better your business. If this was like a membership site then you would need to be here all of the time!

I do agree with Joe:

Joe :
    Good luck on your future endeavors

It takes up so much time to answer the questions over-and-over again! Maybe a forum would work too-I know you could get someone to moderate for you, then every one can just ask and answer their own questions!

11. July 8th, 2010 at 18:31 | #11

What I think you should do is to move the information in this blog to another domain, call it like MikeIserJournal.com; or something, and restart this blog as something like shoemoney.com or Jonathanvolk.com, make it more fun more than anything else.

Give advice, stuff that you like…etc. You know, do you.

12. July 9th, 2010 at 01:33 | #12

Mike, I totally screwed some of my UAW submissions about a month ago:

I was submitting at night, at 11pm, opened up a bunch of tabs and stayed up half the night to finish all of the 50 submissions. Month later (yesterday) I checked the UAW to see that more than half of those articles were marked as “SENT” while all the other ones that I submitted before 12pm were in the process of sending out to different directories. So I resubmitted the ones I screwed up and they should start distributing now.

Ever had anything like that happen?

13. gindi
    July 9th, 2010 at 01:51 | #13

Hi Mike

I wanted to ask u a question regardin the daily adsense earnings,

From what i understand after reading the adsense tos, the only thing we could share is the gross payment. But from what i understood by looking in some forums, sharing adsense earnind on a daily basis is not exactly “gross” payment and only if u publish your earning by month is called “gross” and is ok with the tos.

I would like to hear what do u think about all this concept especially with this post…

Btw, sorry for the bad english… Im not speak it well….

14. Adam
    July 9th, 2010 at 02:15 | #14

i think it is a good decision,Mike.

15. dar0
    July 9th, 2010 at 03:55 | #15

Mike… about updates… I’ve got to tell You that You, Your blog and Your experience are an inspiration to everybody who wants to make money with adsense. You have already shared so much valuable knowledge that we all should be thanking You for ethernity ;)

One problem I had with this all was that I had to read everything from beginning. Reading things that let’s say after 100 days You changed Your mind about them.

I’m sure You know that Your blog is more like an AdSense Course but for free and that’s the main reason most people come here.

I think that You don’t have to update it everyday (just to put earnings…) I think You could make updates everytime something changes in Your way of doing Micro Niche Sites.

On The other hard I think You could think about some coaching :)
    free (like You are doing so far by updating that blog) or paid.

Either way – You will have customers. And I mean lots of them….

Regards
    Darek

16. Josh
    July 9th, 2010 at 04:47 | #16

James is probably going to have a mental breakdown if you do this…

17. July 9th, 2010 at 11:47 | #17

How about updating us once a week on what you did and how you are doing for the previous week.

18. Mikeman
    July 9th, 2010 at 13:09 | #18

@All Is Well

Ya, I’m considering that…good to hear your adsense is increasing at this time.

@Bill

Hey, thanks Bill :>

@Ross

@Jorik

@gindi

Ross, Jorik, Gindi…I didn’t create this post to answer questions guys, this was a post to figure out the direction of my site. I don’t mind answering questions, however if you’re going to ignore my question and instead just look to get answers from me, that’s not cool.

@leon

Hey Leon, thanks for the kind words man.

@Joe

Hey Joe, ya, getting the same questions over and over does get to you..and there are always going to be people trying to stir the pot. Thanks for your feedback.

@Ben

thanks for the feedback Ben, I know that’s something of value ..

@ThomasT

Hey Thomas, thanks for the feedback. The only problem I’d have with doing things that way is I don’t like to do things 1/2 ass’ed, I’m an all or nothing kind of guy, and doing posts like you mentioned, while it may satisfy some visitors, it would feel subpar to me.

I think the problem right now is back when I was working daily to figure out this whole IM thing, each daily update had more to it as I was learning as I went along…these days I’ve pretty much figured out what works so I don’t have those types of posts as often anymore, and thus, updates became more monotonous…

Thanks for the feedback you gave and I’m glad you find the daily updates so useful :>

@Alex

Ya, thanks for the feedback Alex.. I really think the reason for that is due to what I mentioned to Thomas.

@greentea

Thanks man..

@Kelly

Hey Kelly, thanks for your input on what you think I should do.. I have considered a forum before, however I’ve heard that it wound up being more work to maintain from a friend, so I don’t think that’s the path I’m going to go down.

@Chris

Hey Chris, I’m not sure exactly what those guys do, but I like to carve out my own niche..this one in particular being a site where I provide daily updates+my income+answers to questions+pics/vids . I don’t see how creating a new site would help things though and I’d lose my domain age/traffic.

@Adam

Thanks for the feedback Adam..

@dar0

Hey Dar0, thanks, appreciate that :> I guess I could stick in the readme file some info on what methods I abandoned.

I know I could do all that…I’ve always been reluctant to go down the path of making money from IM though and wanted to give out stuff for free. Only problem with that I’ve found though is there are people who will abuse that and milk you for what you’re worth without giving anything back. So in that sense I guess a pay site/coaching would be better.

@Cathy

Ya…that’s one option I’ve been considering, thanks for the feedback backing it up.

19. July 9th, 2010 at 13:38 | #19

well whatever you choose, I hope all the best to you, I don’t want to kiss your butt or anything, but it’s much appreciated that you take the time to read everyone’s comments and answer questions, it has helped me big time and I’m sure it has helped and inspired others. You just responded to all these comments, something that most people don’t have the patience with; so all the best to you!

20. July 9th, 2010 at 14:35 | #20

Hey Mike, I also work full-time but probably not as much as you do :). Every morning, before I start working on my own network of sites. I like to visit your site and see what you did for the previously days. It let’s me know that I’m not the only one slaving myself to my websites :) also gives me something to aim for.

About your daily updates, They do get time consuming I’m sure. I would limit them to a simple 5-10 blog post if they are just taking up too much time. I enjoy reading the daily journey and the hard work that goes into creating an internet income as I’m sure most here do also.

Your feat to 5k per month is great and wonderful. I’d like to also see if you are capable of bringing it up way higher to 10k, 20k per month.

Anyways, looking forward to whatever decision you choose. It does look like you are making $500 to $1k per month in affiliate commissions so I would think that would be decent enough to put in some time on your website. The more followers you get the more that can go up.

21. dar0
    July 9th, 2010 at 15:39 | #21

Mike…. ok… that can be coaching :)
    but not to make it the same as others (blablabla mine is better than other …) I think You should base it on some case study! not only theory :)

22. July 9th, 2010 at 19:04 | #22

Mike, my personal opinion is that you should do whatever the heck is the best for you and your business. :-) You have already gone way above and beyond the call of duty in sharing your experiences, your work process, your promotional strategy, and so much more. I’ve gotten a ton of great information and a lot of inspiration from reading your posts. But at some point you just have to do what is best for you. It’s not your duty to inspire or help people on a daily basis. Anyone who goes through all your prior posts and your Read Me file will get a wealth of information on this business. I’m very sure that after keeping up this blog so long on a daily basis that you need a break. So don’t feel guilty about taking one and making changes that better fit where you are now.

23. July 9th, 2010 at 20:20 | #23

set up coaching, I think many people would really get a lot out of it.

24. July 9th, 2010 at 20:40 | #24

Josh is wrong, for once – I check your blog like I check my email. Ridiculous!

Actually, I think you need a break – what’s the point of reaching your goal of a full-time income, only to have this blog turn into a job? Wasn’t the point a passive income?

Just my thoughts. Post when you want to – and enjoy your freedom to do what you want with your time. That is the >> POINT << isn't it? Thank you for updating, keeping the advice sound, and telling me about UAW.

My brother-in-law was TICKED when I signed up through you versus his UAW link (he didn't have one) – but you were the one to actually answer the thousand questions.

You deserve the commission. (I've been paying you for 35 years now.) :)

25. TJPann
    July 10th, 2010 at 01:18 | #25

weekly updates man 100%…leaves you more time to focus on your work and make better quality posts (not that they weren’t quality already…) :)

26. Mike
    July 10th, 2010 at 01:32 | #26

People aren’t necessarily ‘stirring the pot’ because they’re asking questions that you’ve answered. Maybe they didn’t see the answers.

There’s really no need for such an attitude about it. Geez. You act like you’re doing every single person a favor by having a blog.

Mike

PS: Flame me if you must, just calling it as I see it.

27. Ross
    July 10th, 2010 at 02:08 | #27

sorry, mate, no disrespect intended. you’ve been a great inspiration, but my man… with mikeiser.com you’ve created a monster!

it’s a great resource for people to share information whether that’s what you intended or not, and at this point i’ll take any guidance wherever i can get it. i’ve got 2 kids including a 3 month old and have been out of work for 6 months, and US Congress just cut off unemployment benefits to the whole country. dreading applying for food stamps, i’m dying to see my work take off.

again, you’ve been very kind with your guidance, i don’t think anyone wanted to piss you off. in fact i think every single time i’ve written to you i’ve kissed your butt profusely for what is essentially very valuable FREE lessons in SEO and monetizing web sites.

and to balance out my faux pas, and to pay you back for your support to the community i’ll give you my thoughts on your question…

the fact is i read mikeiser.com EVERY SINGLE DAY and have read the entire contents of the site twice. to remove it would be a mistake, but weekly or even monthly check ins on what’s working and what’s not would be valuable. as theaveragegenius says, post whenever it feels right, and don’t make it like your obligation.

if you were to quit the site completely, a forum as a replacement would be a marvelous idea.

28. Ross
    July 10th, 2010 at 02:10 | #28

@Kelly
    thanks kelly

29. Ross
    July 10th, 2010 at 02:12 | #29

not trying to hijack this thread here, but if you were to set up a paid service where you look at site portfolios and offer 1 on 1 guidance and support consultations, i’d sign up

30. Mikeman
    July 10th, 2010 at 04:31 | #30

@Chris

Hey, thanks man..

@Paul Morales

Hey Paul, thanks for all the input..

I’m for sure going to continue to build my income…How fast that happens will probably depend on when I next get the urge to really go all out. But once you have a working blueprint, the same work ethic that gets you to 5k needs only be replicated over again to climb to higher levels.

@dar0

Ya, case studies are quite helpful..

@Linda

Hey Linda, thanks hun, that’s right, I gotta focus on what is best for me/my business..a break seems like the best thing at this point.

@Jorik

Ya.. If I did that, it would probably be a part of some membership site, although I don’t know if I want to go down that route…

@JamestheJust on Elance

Ya man…I suppose that’s the case too..when I started out, it never felt like work, but when it grew to the size it is now, it started to become work :/

And thanks man for supporting the blog through the aff link and also helping out with the questions, I do appreciate it :>

@TJPann

Ya…thanks for the feedback man.

@Mike

When I said stirring the pot, I was not referring to people asking questions, I was referring to those who have trolled on this site.

You’re out of line with your comments, if you’re dissatisfied with the blog, perhaps you should find some alternative reading material.

@Ross

Hey Ross, np…I’m glad that you have been able to find the blog so helpful. I guess the options are to take a break, post weekly, or just post when it feels right like you said.

I probably wouldn’t quit the site completely…

And thanks for the feedback regarding a paid service, Its not likely I’ll go down that route(in favor of passive income), but it’s good to know.

31. July 10th, 2010 at 13:32 | #31

Hi Mike,
    First of all, thanks a lot for your daily updates. I stumbled upon your blog a month back and i have read most of your posts from beggining. Not all of them, but i read so much past month that i am kind of ‘Fan’ of you now :) It’s truth am not just saying just to impress anyone here.. Well i had bought George brown’s G sniper, also i have micro niche adsense course, but never actually put them into use. But as i said i was reading your daily updates and now i have started building my sites based on these 2 courses. I now have around 30+ sites and all are built in past 2 or 3 months. I am not making that kind of $$$ but ya i make close to $3 a day in adsense from my combined 30+ sites.. I know its not much but.. hope i make as much you do someday..

Well regarding your question, i understand that you can’t give us your daily updates as earlier because of your other commitments. I respect that. But if its not to much to ask can you atleast try to post weekly. It will be a good motivation for me and i believe to many others too.

I have one small question for you – As i said above i have now 30+ sites. All are hosted on shared hosting servers. Since you have around 150 sites, do you host all of them on shared servers or dedicated or VPS ? can you please guide me here. I am asking this because now i am following you and will build more sniper sites and would like to know what is better.

By the way thanks for every single post of your’s.. all are very helpful, inspirational i would say.

Thanks & Best Regards, Bhavesh

32. Kasey Langton
    July 10th, 2010 at 16:09 | #32

don’t quit now, keep the daily updates mane. =)

33. July 10th, 2010 at 19:15 | #33

kasey. stirring the pot. (( tsk, tsk )) =)

Mike: I think Kasey is Al…

34. July 10th, 2010 at 19:17 | #34

Oh, for the record – Ross: I agree, man – Mike’s taught a lot. I learned a ton on this site.

Take it down, Mike, and we’re pillaging Toronto. Just sayin’.

35. Kasey Langton
    July 11th, 2010 at 10:09 | #35

lol, still lovin an Al huh. oh and if i was Al i would have been blocked too, and the reason i mention to keep the daily updates is mainly to see what mikemans income is doing, i mean lets be honest, its what most people are here to see that check the blog everyday. if i get a low drop one day in adsense i can check mikes blog to see if his dropped as well, know what i mean?

36. Mikeman
    July 11th, 2010 at 13:31 | #36

@Bhavesh

Hey Bhavesh, thanks man, glad you got something outta the site :>

Regarding hosting, I have scattered my sites across several reseller hosting accounts…each one is $25/month. I actually have 300+ sites on these. If you’re planning on building a mass of blogs, it’s a good idea to use a reseller account.

BTW, the minisite model is 1/2 as effective since Mayday so if normally you’d make $50/day out of 100 sites, now you’ll be seeing $25/day. I’d focus more on building up your properties that are doing well with more pages..backlink each page up.

@JamestheJust on Elance

lol

@All

By the way, I’ve thought about what I should do and decided that for now I’m going to be taking some time off to find new direction with what I’m going to be doing with my business..

Not sure how long I’ll be, but once I figure out what I’m doing, I’ll then do some updates, I’m leaning towards weekly but not sure on that yet..

In the meantime, if you guys want to talk about whatever here, feel free :>

-Mike

37. Bhavesh
    July 11th, 2010 at 13:52 | #37

Mike, Thanks Man, yes i am planning to build on more mini sites. I will continue with my shared hosting as of now. Am not making much money. Just around $50/month via adsense and once in a bluemoon i make a small clickbank commission. Well i will go for reseller accounts when i can afford it. I will do research about reseller accounts, i just know what they mean but not how these accounts can be really helpful.. I will get back to you if i get stuck somewhere. Thanks again.. Take care..

38. July 11th, 2010 at 20:19 | #38

Do a weekly update!!! Sunday and outline all the money made on the different days and what you did during the week.

I feel that would make your blog alot better!

39. jamie
    July 11th, 2010 at 20:40 | #39

Mike – when you say you are taking time to decide on what direction to take, are you considering halting you current method, i.e stop producing adsense sites in favor of another method e.g getting into CPA/Affiliate stuff?

40. July 12th, 2010 at 01:38 | #40

@Ian Wilcox
    I’m not sure that Mike’s concerned with “making his blog a lot better,” which is the point of making time to decide what direction he’s going. He’s not interested in turning blogging into a full-time endeavor.

41. Alex
    July 12th, 2010 at 09:11 | #41

@Ian Wilcox
    I would agree with weekly update on sunday but please give us a weekly average income, like maybe avg/day (last 7 days /7 since you probably dont want to always pull out the real day to day numbers).

42. Tony
    July 12th, 2010 at 10:39 | #42

Don’t pull a Lebron on us Mike…don’t quit on us! haha

Updates us once in a week at most would be great. I come here
    and check up on how you do often. I’m pulling for you to
    make it big! Keep us informed.

43. Mike
    July 12th, 2010 at 13:29 | #43

Eh, I think the blog is fine. I just think you’re far too arrogant for no good reason. No need to reply to this, if there’s no more valuable information I’ll be leaving anyhow.

Good luck to you in your future endeavors, however.

Mike

44. Mikeman
    July 12th, 2010 at 16:15 | #44

@Ian Wilcox

Hey Ian, at some point I’ll probably go back to regular updates, whether it be weekly or daily again.

@jamie

Oh no, I’m just looking into a new system to ‘revive’ my existing sites. I’m looking to add to my current promotion and streamline it mainly…

@Alex

Hey Alex, if I did the weekly update I could put up weekly amounts, although that wouldn’t have the daily totals..

@Tony

Haha, thanks Tony, I won’t disappear completely :>

@Mike

It sounds to me like you’ve got something else on your mind Mike…

I believe you e-mailed me a little over a week ago. I took the time out of my day to answer your questions in a detailed e-mail which I didn’t have to do. When you followed up with another e-mail asking me questions which were easily found within my FAQ, I asked you to please respect my time by first looking that over.

You mentioned the FAQ hasn’t been updated, however the answers to your questions were there.

I’m not getting paid to answer your questions, and if you interpret that as arrogance, that’s your business. But I’m not going to sit back while you attack my character on my blog.

45. July 12th, 2010 at 17:46 | #45

get em Mike :)

46. July 12th, 2010 at 21:48 | #46

@ Mike I think its a great decision. I think we would all do well to monitor our own income as much as we monitor Mike’s. would probably make more money if we spent more time building our own sites.

I will say I will miss the daily updates especially when you were doing them in the mornings. I would read them as soon as my alarm clock went off at 5 am in the mornings. Shame on me reading Mike’s blog before I even said my prayers…. lol

47. July 12th, 2010 at 23:00 | #47

@Dee
    That, Dee, is officially being hooked. I don’t do anything but roll over at 5am…!

@ Mike: Um…they pack chill-pills now – “St. John’s Wart” works well, as does a dose of Vitamin B (complex). Wash it down with a can of “what’s your problem?” and then take a nap.

Works for me every time. Seriously, I don’t think 1/5 of what you said was even humanly necessary, and I’m sure it was more well-suited for an email.

If you have a problem with someone, going public has got to be a last resort, unless Mike’s fire-bombed your mom’s house with her cat in it, I’m left sitting here wondering what the fireworks are all about this far past the 4th…

48. July 12th, 2010 at 23:01 | #48

That, btw, was meant for “Mike” above, not “Mikeman” just to be clear. (I can’t believe I’m not paid to be blog police – whatever! I’m taking a break, OK?)

49. July 12th, 2010 at 23:04 | #49

Alright, onto other topics: has anyone had much success with profile links? I’m curious – stupid question, maybe, but I only had one experience with them – and if so: what’s the best route to go?

I’m not personally a fan, but my competition has links in the thousands in some niches. A YSE check reveals a lot of those are forum profile links…cheaters!

50. Josh
    July 12th, 2010 at 23:37 | #50

To build on James’s question, what programs are usually recommended? Does anyone know why there is such a gap in price between the $40 programs and the $300 programs?

Comment pages